HISTORY

Pre 1950
1970s
2000s
Today
Pre 1950
Founded in 1938 by 15 couples as the Valley Jewish Community Center, Adat Ari El is the oldest congregation in the San Fernando Valley. A lively and egalitarian shul, the Center soon became home to hundreds of families in the growing Jewish community.

After a series of temporary homes – including a former “speakeasy” on Chandler Boulevard – the Center moved to its current, permanent location near the corner of Burbank and Laurel Canyon in 1949.

1970s
In 1972, the congregation officially acquired its Hebrew name, Adat Ari El, Congregation of the Lion of God.

To answer the growing need for Jewish and secular education, Adat Ari El opened its day school in September of 1979 to 70 students.

In those early days, classes were held in simple meeting rooms, and the blacktop parking lot was the only playground available.

Slowly but surely, the school grew: In 1993, Adat opened its first science lab.

2000s
In 2001, the school was named Adat Ari El Labowe Family Day School due to the generous donation of the Labowe Family.

In 2005, we added an astroturf field; and in 2008, we constructed our remarkable Kaplan Sports Pavilion.

As our reputation grew, we attracted outstanding teaching talent from all over the world.

Today
about_adat_historyHundreds of students have graduated in the last 36 years. They’ve gone on to attend competitive middle and high school programs and top universities.

A lot has changed over the years, but our core values have remained the same: Adat’s energetic social action programs, inclusive prayer services, and stellar education programs are role models for Jewish communities across the nation.

Even more importantly, students have carried the joy of learning and leadership into adulthood.